- Undertake economic dispatch and transmission of electricity from wholesale suppliers (generating companies) to bulk customers, which include the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG), Northern Electricity Distribution Company (NEDCo) and the Mines.
- Provide fair and non-discriminatory transmission services to all power market participants.
- Acquire and manage assets, facilities and systems required to transmit electrical energy.
- Provide metering and billing services to bulk customers.
- Carry out transmission system planning and implement necessary investments to provide the capacity to reliably transmit electric energy; and manage the Wholesale Power Market.
To be the model electricity grid Company
We provide a reliable grid for development
GRIDCo was established in accordance with the Energy Commission Act, 1997 (Act 541) and the Volta River Development (Amendment) Act, 2005 Act 692, which provided for the establishment and exclusive operation of the National Interconnected Transmission System (NITS) by an independent Utility and the separation of the transmission functions of the Volta River Authority (VRA) from its other activities within the framework of the Power Sector Reforms. GRIDCo was incorporated on December 15, 2006 as a private limited liability company under the Companies Code, 1963, Act 179 and granted a certificate to commence business on December 18, 2006. The company became operational on August 1, 2008 following the transfer of the core staff and power transmission assets from VRA to GRIDCo.