GRIDTel is the strategic business unit of Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo) and has been in commercial operation since 2017. It has a mandate to provide open access communication services to telecom companies and corporate entities in Ghana and the West African sub-region. It also supports the internal communication requirement of GRIDCo and its partners.
- Over 3,000 circuit km of interconnected Optical Ground Wire (OPGW) and more committed projects on-going to extend coverage further.
- Over 300 joint boxes to serve as Points of Presence (PoPs)
- 60 hubs for colocation with intermodal options for connectivity.
- Our Optical Ground Wire (OPGW) provides a resilient and cost-effective alternative to the buried fibre optic infrastructure of the Telecoms operators.
The Transmission line infrastructure is over 5000km with 2500km already equipped with Optical Ground Wire (OPGW). The unit also has committed projects ongoing to extend coverage further.
To be the provider of choice for high quality and reliable telecommunications backbone services in Ghana and the West African sub-region.
To acquire and sustain clients through the provision of innovative backbone telecommunications solutions that meets clients’ satisfaction and enhances shareholder value,
- Bandwidth Services – GRIDTel provides innovative and enhanced telecommunication services to GRIDCo and its power affiliates and to customers requiring fast free flowing communication without interruption.
- Dark Fiber Lease – GRIDTel makes excess fiber cores capacity available for lease. The leases can be either short or long term. The short-term lease covers a duration between one (1) to five (5) years, whereas the long-term lease ranges from five (5) years to fifteen years (15), offered on an indefeasible right of use (IRU) basis.
- Colocation – Existing and future substations are provisioned to co-locate the telecommunication infrastructure of third parties to guarantee clean power and security services. This include mobile network operators, data centre vendors and internet service providers.
- Cross-border Hybrid-connectivity – Major traffic and business hubs within our neighbouring countries are in close proximity to our borders ensuring that cross-border hybrid-connectivity is tailored to cater for international traffic. The product offers a cheaper solution to providers in terms of cost and speed of deployment.